Where: First Unitarian Church (605 Morewood Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213)
Welcome to CFI’s monthly lecture and movie night series!
This November we’re celebrating Carl Sagan’s birthday! Join us for some episodes of Cosmos, snacks, and refreshments!
See you there!
More on Carl Sagan Day:
Every November 9th, those of us who love skepticism and wonder gather together to honor and remember Carl Sagan, astronomy professor, Pulitzer Prize winning author, and the creator of the award-winning PBS television series, COSMOS. Fans celebrate all month long in a variety of clever ways.
How can you celebrate Sagan Day?
- Host a COSMOS marathon—all 13 episodes are available for free at hulu.com.
- Check out Sagan’s many books at your local library or bookstore using the thorough listings from WorldCat.org.
- Enjoy the special collection of articles by or about Sagan, previously published in Skeptical Inquirer magazine.
- Listen to Sagan’s last public address for the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (formerly CSICOP) as replayed on CFI’s podcast, Point of Inquiry:“Wonder and Skepticism.”
- Listen to Ann Druyan, writer, producer, and widow of Sagan, discuss life with Carl, his outlook on life, and his famous Gifford Lectures, “The Varieties of Scientific Experience,” also on Point of Inquiry.
- Host your own apple pie baking contest (from scratch, of course).
- Dress like Carl for a day!
- Refresh your skeptic skills with a review of Sagan’s Baloney Detection Kit.
- Invite your friends over and try to convince them you have a dragon in your garage.
- Take in a star show at your local planetarium.
- Snag a pair of these gorgeous Pale Blue Dot earringsand coasters from Surly Amy!
- Learn everything there is to know about Voyager 1 and 2.
- Remember how thrilled you were when you saw the first stunning images from Voyager and go revel in these gorgeous NASA Voyager galleries.
- See where the Voyager probes are now! (Yes, incredibly, they are still working and sending back data from over 15 billion kilometers away.)
- At the very least, seek out a dark sky, look UP, and reconnect with the grandeur of the cosmos.
P.S. We usually head to Ali Baba’s on nearby Craig Street at 5:30 p.m. for a pre-lecture or pre-movie dinner. Please leave a comment below if you are coming to dinner so we can include you in the reservation. Thanks!
To join, donate, or learn more about the Center for Inquiry, visit CFI-Pittsburgh online. To learn about all the secular groups in Pittsburgh, visit the Pittsburgh Coalition of Reason website…and you can follow Pittsburgh Secular Freethinkers and CFI on Facebook!
*CFI-Pittsburgh strives to be an ADA compliant organization. Please email email@example.com to request accommodations.
Friday, November 22 at 7:00 PM
Fee: Suggested Donation: USD 5.00 per person