Every once in a while there is a story so obnoxious you can’t ignore it, even though you should. The latest in this category comes from TownHall.com and is entitled “7 Examples of Discrimination Against Christians in America”.
I was truly curious what these examples might be about, especially given the Christian privilege that can be seen by (illegal) prayers before city councils, (illegal) posting of the Ten Commandments in front of public schools, the widespread (illegal) use crosses to represent memorials to fallen soldiers, In God We Trust as a national motto, and the use of “God Bless America” in virtually every presidential speech in recent years.
Not true, according to John Hawkins who writes “The majority of Americans are Christians, but we’re not treated with respect by the culture, the schools, or by our politicians.” Excuse me?? The politicians, in particular, go crazy wearing their faith on the their sleeves, just to get votes and seem All-American to the voters.
Ok. So what are the seven deadly sins … I mean … examples of discrimination?
1) Florida Ministry Told To Choose Between Jesus And Helping The Poor. For the past 31 years, the Christian ministry has been providing food to the hungry in Lake City, Fla. without any problems. But all that changed when they said a state government worker showed up to negotiate a new contract. …(A) state agriculture department official told them they would not be allowed to receive USDA food unless they removed portraits of Christ, the Ten Commandments, a banner that read ‘Jesus is Lord’ and stopping giving Bibles to the needy.
They are welcome to the help poor, but they wanted to do it by distributing free food from the USDA. If the government is distributing the food, it should not have religious strings attached. NOT DISCRIMINATION.
2) Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: Obama’s IRS Was “Targeting and Attempting to Intimidate Us:”
There are rules to follow if you claim a religious exception on your tax return. NOT DISCRIMINATION.
3) California Christians Found “Not Guilty” of Reading Bible Near Government Offices:”A court has said that a pair of Christians were ‘allowed’ to read the Bible aloud outside the Department of Motor Vehicles in Hemet, California.
The court upheld this one, even though they were reading the bible aloud (actually shouting/preaching), not just “reading” as the headline proclaims. NOT DISCRIMINATION.
4) Colorado Baker Faces Year In Jail For Refusing To Make Cake For Gay Wedding:
The baker is running a business that has to make certain accommodations. You can’t refuse to serve African-Americans or Jewish customers. In this case, the owners refused to make a wedding cake for gay couple because it “conflicted with their Christian beliefs.” I say get out of the wedding cake making business, if you don’t want to serve all customers. NOT DISCRIMINATION.
5) Under Barack Obama, the military has become aggressively anti-Christian and pro-gay to such an extent that the troops are no longer even allowed to privately oppose gay marriage.
This one goes on to claim “We’ve been told that if you publicly say that homosexuality is wrong, you are in violation of Air Force policy.” So there is an important distinction between private views and public statements. No one is being charged with thought crimes. NOT DISCRIMINATION.
6) Government Forces Churches To Get Permits For Baptisms:Nevertheless, the Park Service recently began a new policy requiring churches that wished to hold baptisms in public waters to apply for a special permit at least 48 hours in advance of the baptism.
You also need permit if you want to camp in a National Park. This is not even worth discussing. NOT DISCRIMINATION.
7) Florida Professor Demands Student Stomp On Jesus:It all started with a conflict between an antagonistic professor and one brave student at Florida Atlantic University. Ryan Rotela was told by his professor to write Jesus Christ’s name on a piece of paper and stomp on it.
Not this again. The Professor was making a point about symbols and hard it would be to do this. The student was supposed to discuss the issue, as every class before had done. Unfortunately, the student and the right-wing media were lost about the entire purpose of the exercise. Once again: NOT DISCRIMINATION.
So what is the final tally? Looks like 0 for 7. As 99 out of 100 politicians would say: “God Bless America”
Yes, I am afraid this country is still safe for Christians. But, unfortunately, not for everyone else, where religious discrimination again minority religions, atheists, agnostics, humanists and free-thinkers is very real and not imagined.